Indoor air quality — most homeowners don’t pay much attention to it. In fact, many don’t even realize the quality of air inside affects them. Most people spend a significant portion of their day indoors, especially when the weather is bad and temperatures are low; with such extensive exposure, the quality of your indoor air can really affect how comfortable and healthy you feel.
The air inside your home is full of pollutants. They’re higher in concentration indoors than outside because homes aren’t ventilated well enough to properly dilute them. Pollutants that can be found in most homes include:
• Skin cells
• Fumes from cleaners, air fresheners, and personal care products
• Mold and mildew
• Cigarette smoke
• Smoke from cooking
Exposure to these pollutants everyday can cause you to feel increased symptoms related to allergies and asthma. They can also worsen the symptoms of colds and respiratory illnesses. Long-term exposure to certain toxic pollutants can cause more serious health problems.
Making some simple changes in your routine can greatly improve the indoor air quality of your home. To rid your home of the pollutants that are making you feel uncomfortable inside, take these measures:
• Clean surfaces regularly
• Wash bedding frequently
• Clean upholstery and window coverings
• Use a vacuum with a high-efficiency filter
• Change the air filter in your furnace at least every 3 months
• Switch to natural cleaners, air fresheners, and personal care products
• Open doors or windows when cooking or using a fireplace
• Keep houseplants indoors for natural filtration
In addition to incorporating these tasks in your household routine, your home’s indoor air quality may also benefit from the use of ultraviolet lights, which can eliminate air quality problems caused by mold. Mold that grows inside the home poses major health risks for your family. Exposure to mold has been linked to upper respiratory tract symptoms, and can cause a number of other problems, including:
• Skin and eye irritation
• Nasal congestion
Ultraviolet lights are effective for controlling the growth of mold, mildew, bacteria, and other harmful pollutants which can be found in your duct work. Using the same ultraviolet energy that controls pollutant levels outdoors, ultraviolet lights kill existing mold growth inside your duct system and prevent regrowth to keep your family safe.
Ultraviolet lights are long-lasting and low maintenance. They consume only small amounts of energy and can be wired independent of your home’s heating and cooling systems. These lights work around the clock, even when your heating and cooling systems are off, to continually control mold growth in your system.